Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Cracks Have Been Covered...Lets Hope It StayZ That Way...!!

DATUK Seri Rafidah Aziz vehemently defended herself and her family against allegations that she had abused her position to issue approved permits (APs) to her relatives and certain individuals.
The International Trade and Industry Minister, who was challenged by Opposition Leader Lim Kit Siang to explain claims that she had given APs to her son-in-law and that she was being investigated by the Attorney-General for corruption, was clearly miffed when she replied:
“I will not put up with slander against myself and my family. Don’t play with me. If I am a queen, you are the court jester. I will sue you!”
She was referring to Lim’s recent remark comparing her to a queen for her rare appearance in the Dewan.
Rafidah, who came to Parliament to answer two questions, demanded that Lim retract his statement and told him not to touch on her personal affairs.
“I am proud of my integrity in discharging my duties. Jangan seronok cakap celupar di sini (Don’t simply shoot off your mouth here).
“Your accusations touched on my personal affairs. I don’t want my integrity to be challenged. Don’t doubt my integrity. I don’t have any relation to any AP holders,” she said in a raised voice.
It was the Cabinet’s decision to give APs to MPs in 1997 after they had requested it, she said.
Rafidah had regained her composure by the time she replied to a supplementary question by Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing (BN – Bintulu) on the rationale she had called for the abolishment of APs.
“Whether or not it would be abolished depends on whether it had achieved the objective of developing bumiputra entrepreneurs in the industry.”
Lim then stood up and cited the Standing Order to propose a motion that the House refer him to the Privileges Committee for slandering Rafidah, as she had claimed.
“I’m willing to do this as I did not slander her. The minister must reply to the corruption issue. I propose that the Dewan refer Ipoh Timur to the committee,” said Lim.
Deputy Speaker Datuk Dr Yusuf Yaacob, who allocated about 45 minutes for Rafidah’s reply during question time, disallowed the motion.
Earlier, when Rafidah stood to reply to a query by Datuk Wan Hashim Wan Teh (BN – Gerik) on the national automotive industry, he remarked that the MPs were honoured by her presence in the House to personally answer the questions.
Rafidah started by explaining that she was unable to attend sittings for the first three days to reply to questions on her ministry as she had been away.
To a question by Datuk Raja Ahmad Zainuddin Raja Omar (BN – Larut) who wanted to know why the ministry claimed that Proton was making profits while the information given to MPs stated that the national car company was recording losses, she said the ministry had never mentioned Proton’s losses or gains.
“It is up to the company to announce this. We’ve not ever stated that Proton was making profits or losses as we don’t control Proton. I’d like to put this on record,” she said.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger